The company was founded in 2012 by Bill Travis. The operation was in place before that time as a hobby for about three years. As time progressed, Mr. Travis increasingly received requests and orders for the food he smoked. Mr. Travis began entering competitions, and after several placings, was recognized by those not only outside of his local “fan base” but by BBQ enthusiasts statewide. In 2012, Mr. Travis retired from his profession of 25 years in the jewelry industry and converted his “hobby” into a restaurant business. Shortly thereafter, Wholly Smokin’ BBQ was placed on the SC BBQ Trail. In 2013, Mr. Travis was approached by an investor, Andy Jeffords, who shared in the same dream of taking Wholly Smokin’ BBQ & Ribs to the next level. Today, we are excited to be relocated to the historic district of Florence. We are happy to be a part of the revitalization of downtown Florence, as we are certain these efforts will bring growth and new life to the downtown area.
Bill’s ribs won 3rd place in 2010 and 2nd place in 2011 at the Black Creek Blue Jeans BBQ Festival in Hartsville, SC. Also at that festival, his pulled pork placed 2nd in the People’s Choice Awards. In 2012, Bill placed 3rd for his BBQ in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters Cook-Off.
Since Bill has opened, he has won several more awards. The first was from The News Journal for the BEST RIBS in Florence.
Most recently, he was awarded BEST BBQ in the 2013 Best of The Pee Dee Competition.
Wholly Smokin’ BBQ & Ribs Loves giving back to the community. Every year, Wholly Smokin’ is sure to be a part of the following events:
- McLeod Regional Medical Center’s “Chef & Child” (fundraiser for the Children’s Hospital)
- The Lucky Shamrock Festival (fundraiser for the Junior League of Florence)
- Heart Ball (American Heart Association annual fundraiser)
- Francis Marion University “Arts International”
- The Taste of The Symphony (a fundraiser for the Florence Symphony)
- Florence After Five (Downtown Festival that draws thousands to enjoy music, food, drink and friends)
- The Bone-E-Fit (fundraiser for the Florence Humane Society)
- Cinco De Mayo (Fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity)
- Grateful Dog Benefit Concert (fundraiser for the area Humane Societies)
Other Events that Wholly Smokin has taken part in:
- Taste of Florence (fundraiser for The King’s Academy)
- Play Me I’m Yours
- NSX Car Display
- Fireball Run